Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Five Rabbit- Ki'Chun


I wanted to write this last week, but the peanut and I were both very sick (a great way to spend my week off).
Blake and I went to a launch party for a very exciting, and very awesome brewery, Five Rabbit, on the 20th. I was very excited to go to this, because one of the partners for this brewery is Randy Mosher, you know, the guy I was totally gushing about in my last post

Awesome metal work!

The whole picture, isn't that gorgeous!?



Five Rabbit is a newer brewery; they hadn't even begun to bottle their own beer when we went there. This was a great chance to show off their new brewery, and celebrate their most recent creation, Ki’Chun. Here is a bit about the beer:
Poorly taken photograph of Ki'Chun in my glass

…a strong beer made with a very unusual ingredient: chanterelle mushrooms? The Mayan name, Ki’Chun, aptly means “tasty start.”

Ki’Chun blends the apricot perfume of chanterelles with three malts and toasted oats. These are united by the exotic fruitiness of New Zealand Rakau hops and accented by a Belgian yeast strain. Dark Thai palm sugar lightens the body a bit and makes this 9.5% alc/vol beer dangerously drinkable, dry and creamy.”


Both Blake and I thought that this was one tasty beer! It was so smooth, and fruity in a really great way.  Ki’Chun is one of those beers that has me wanting more. I thought this was just a phenomenal beer. If you are in the vicinity of Chicago, you HAVE to look for this beer, or any of the Five Rabbit beers.

While we were having the Ki’Chun, we got to walk around and see the new brewery. It is really a huge facility that will give the Five Rabbit team room to grow, and I hope they do grow. Andrés was who we spent most of our time talking to, and looking at the brewery. I have to say that Andrés was so nice, everyone was so nice, and the love for what they are doing really comes through when they talk to you about it. You can read about Andrés and the rest of the Five Rabbit crew on their website, they have a very interesting story.



Ki’Chun wasn’t the only beer that they had available to try. We also got to try Five Rabbit, which is really good. It was so light in the pitcher that I thought it might be juice, but it was a really delicious wheaty beer.
Five Rabbit, mostly gone



I won’t lie; my favorite of the night was Five Grass. The other two beers were amazing, but the smell alone of Five Grass blew my mind. I even told Andrés and his wife that they needed to make it into a perfume (Seriously, I would buy it). Billed as the hoppy beer, I was expecting something like an IPA, but this was so smooth, and the flavors were just perfect. I can’t wait to get my hands on a few more bottles of this one!


Table with beer, Five Grass in my glass



Truly, I hope that you look for Five Rabbit wherever you are. This is one amazing group of people, and they are making amazing beers. Their passion is something that I admire greatly, and they deserve all the success in the world. We had such a great time meeting everyone, and tasting everything, and the tacos were beyond description (even if they made me flush from the spice). It was fantastic. Now, go out and get some beer from Five Rabbit!


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog Roll