Saturday, June 18, 2011

Hoppy Fathers' Day! (a day early I know)

So, I have to admit, I am terrible at keeping surprises... I hate waiting for things, I am incredibly impatient, and according to some family members have a hard time not being in control of a situation... that said, I gave Blake his Father's Day gifts last night, after I had to cajole him into accepting them ahead of time.
So how did he make out on this second "real" father's day? I would say pretty damn good! In shopping for Fathers' day gifts I discovered a couple of things;
a) I love shopping for beer
b) A two-year old in a liquor store is TROUBLE(the manger at Binny's Beverage Depot in McHenry, IL is super nice for carrying all my stuff for me, and again I am sorry)
c) We need a second fridge dedicated to beer storage
d) My husband is just as crazy for beer as me
So what did I get? I went to get one of Blake's favorite beers, Banana Bread Beer, but after discovering that they have been having trouble procuring said beer, we had to come up with a plan B. This meant precision shopping, not just grabbing random things and putting them in the basket that I had precariously held in the same arm as the independent toddler who wanted to shop for her daddy her way. After a small scene, and some help from my daughter and the manager this is what I finally left with:

Smoove Cherry Ale
Smoove Cherry Ale, suggested because I said Blake liked fruity things (in retrospect perhaps not the best adjective). We haven't tried this one yet, but I think it will be interesting.






Ranger IPA
Mothership Wit
The Folly Pack from New Belgium (actually a gift for myself, but you won't tell, right?). The Folly Pack includes, Fat Tire, Ranger IPA, Mothership Wit and Somersault. I hadn't had the ranger IPA or Mothership Wit before. I have to say that the Mothership Wit was very surprising in the depth of flavor, and I really enjoyed it. The ranger IPA was also very good, and I am not really a fan of IPA (as I have mentioned a gazillion times I am sure)


Delirium Nocturnum
My dear sweet daughter picked out Delirium Nocturnum (it was shiny and blue her two favorite colors) for her daddy. Not that I am complaining, as I do love Delirium. This will also be one drunk at a later date.








Golden Monkey
The last beer I got was Golden Monkey from Victory Brewery. Let me be honest here, I picked this beer because of the name, I got the Monkey/Beer idea from Ilana at Mommy Shorts, "The Guy's Guide to Fahters' Day" and her mentioning that guys love anything that involves monkeys and alcohol (I extended the list to include barely-clad women and fire/explosions, Blake included Kung-Fu). I saw this six pack and couldn't pass it up! Yes, we tried this one last night, and I thought it was very interesting. The spices were almost overwhelming, but you could still taste the hops. Blake thought it was a little too much going on, but appreciated that I was trying to cater to his man-ness with a monkey/beer combination.

This is where I wanted to post a picture of Blake enjoying one of his Fathers' Day gifts, but he is camera shy and uncooperative, so instead I had to find a stand-in. Yes, that is James Bond... I can dream can't I?
Daniel Craig/James Bond, My husband stand-in 
Well I hope that you all have a wonderful Fathers' Day! I'd like to say Happy Fathers' Day to my husband (yes again!), my dad, my grandpa and my Uncle Fred.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog Roll