Monday, June 27, 2011

New York Beerience

 Last week I was on a business trip to New York City, and had the chance to have a couple beers while I was out there, not lucky enough to have an on-time return flight though.

At Brinkley's in NYC, I had Empire Cream Ale. I thought it was really tasty, with a mild bitterness that sort of mellowed out as the beer went on. It was a gorgeous color with a nice head and lacing on the glass. It was the perfect ending to a day of travel, and went great with my sweet potato gnocchi (yum!). I have to say that I will be keeping an eye out for this beer, but as of yet, it isn't being distributed to my liquor stores, or if it has I haven't seen it. You should check out the reviews on Beer Advocate for this beer. They also have a list of the top rated Cream Ales if you want to find one by you... we are lucky enough to have Spotted Cow close enough to us.
Empire Cream Ale
















Shock Top


The second beer I enjoyed in NYC was Shock Top. I know that this beer is from California, but it was on tap EVERYWHERE we went, including the bar in LaGuardia where I had mine. I thought it was a nicely spiced Belgium style ale. It reminded me a lot of Blue Moon, which is on tap everywhere by me. I like Blue Moon enough to order it if I am out, but I wouldn't say it is my favorite beer. I think that Shock Top is the same caliber beer, a middle of the road beer that will appeal to the masses.Overall, I think it is okay. The Tapper with the Mohawk made me anticipate a much more wild flavor than I got. I wouldn't suggest you go out of your way to get this beer, but if it's that or another mass-distributed, mass-produced appeal to the masses beer, I would order it again.

Shock Top Tapper

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog Roll