Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Pondering March and Beer

It is Wednesday, and it is nearly 70* outside in March, in Chicago. This is beyond unusual. The strange weather we have been having (we also got 3 inches of snow in like 2 hours on Friday) has me thinking about how to prepare for the Chicago Beer Festival that is in 3 weeks. Normally I wouldn't think so far ahead, except I haven't been to this festival before, and I rarely have the opportunity to escape downtown with my husband and friends for adult libations without having to worry about getting home before my babysitter falls asleep on the couch. BUT this beer festival is starting in the middle of the day!!! So, I don't have to worry about falling asleep at the table, or rushing home to relieve my mother in law. It is like someone has kids and understands that you can't forever be that hip kid who stays up all night and goes to work in the same clothes you left work in. I think it is so refreshing to be able to go to an event, doesn't even have to be a beer event, without having to feel anxiety about getting there (did I mention that the Festival is being held at Union Station? I don't even have to drive), getting home, and getting to bed. Maybe that makes me sound old (ancient at 28), and if so, oh, well.

I will admit that I miss the days of staying up all night drinking like a rock star sometimes, but when I really think about it, I was not drinking because I enjoyed what I was drinking, I now can appreciate the complexity in a beer, and the craft that it takes to make it. I might not be the party animal that some of my friends are, but I like to think that I have something else now, and usually that does not include a hang-over.

Well if you are looking for something a little more fun, and equally as strange as this Chicago weather, check out this article about the strangest beers. I thought it was very interesting.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog Roll